Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Iran's World Peace Carpet

April 2009 I traveled to Iran as the first American to weave on their World Peace Carpet, a project sponosored by UNESCO. Please see my Weaving in Iran webpages for photos and details about my experience in Tehran for this event. Last week I received news that the carpet has been completed. It will travel to 30 countries on 5 continents before arriving at its destination at the UN.

I believe the image in the center of the carpet is a representation of the clay tablet upon which Cyrus the Great, ruler of ancient Persia, had written one of the world's first human rights declarations. I am thrilled and honored to have been invited to weave on this carpet. I hope that each of our knots increased the light in the world.

Look closely, perhaps you can see threads of my sheep's wool, which the head weaver Mr. Jafar Shahabi promised to weave into it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment