Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Awed By ALA!

I have just returned from the annual American Library Association Conference where I was signing advanced review copies of my new novel Night Letter (Nortia Press, November, 2012) at the Consortium booth. I enjoyed chatting with so many librarians and attendees and am still awed by all the enthusiasm and curiosity people held for the novel's setting, Iran and Uzbekistan. I hope those of you who waited in line for an arc enjoy this tale.

I am deeply appreciative to the YALSA members for organizing the Coffee Klatch, where I was able to meet many of you. Please check on my website from time to time for additional book giveaways and material that pertains to this novel that might be useful in the classroom, library or to book groups. Study guides are now available on my website under Teachers' Resources.

It was also an honor to be present for the first-ever Carnegie Medal Award ceremony, hosted by the chair of the awards committee, Nancy Pearl, and others. Anne Enright's novel "The Forgotten Waltz" and Robert Massie's biography "Catherine the Great" have won the Andrew Carnegie Medals for Excellence in literature. It was a real treat to "meet" Anne Enright virtually during the awards night, she spoke to us via a video recorded from Ireland. Perhaps this video is available on line.

Not least, for the best in Children's and Young Adult Literature...hats off to Newbery Award Winner, Jack Gantos (I heard his speech was halarious); Caldecott Winner Chris Raschka; and Printz Award Winner, John Corey Whaley, whose acceptance speech was uniquely delivered in book titles. 


More details about ALA authors to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment