Sunday, May 15, 2011

Greetings from Turkey!

I couldn't have dreamed of a more lovely and inspirational view from my Istanbul writing desk. I am here for two months of soaking up the local culture while I study theTurkish language. I awoke this am to the sound of amuezin, calling the city to prayer from this mosque, which is called the BLue Mosque. It stands opposite theAgha Sophia, once a Byzantine cathedral. Ships are floating alongside clusters of fishing boats in the Bosphorous behind. A sea breeze is sweeping across my keyboard. More to come when I am less jet lagged...

1 comment:

  1. My son was stationed in Turkey twice and just returned to Tashkent, Uzbekistan, from Istanbul last week. He and his family hope to return next summer for their vacation. When my husband and I visited him in 2002 he was located in Ismir. He was a fantastic tour guide. I hope you can experience the coastal region on the Aegean. Intriguing country. Enjoy! Jan Myhre Spokane, WA

    ReplyDelete